Gabriella Hewitt

Tuesday, May 15th, 2007
13 Famous Left Handers

Thirteen Famous Left Handers

Dh and I are right handed. Ds#1 and #2 are right handed. It was something of a surprise to realize ds#3 is left handed. I don’t think I noticed until he was two or so. At that age they dig that plastic spoon into their bowl with either hand or even give up and use their fingers. But gradually, I could see that he preferred his left hand.

I’ve heard it said that one in ten people are lefties. And of course, there is the whole right brain vs. left brain thing. I can say that my older two boys caught on to math much quicker. Sometimes I can’t figure out how ds#3′s brain works. *grin* He amazes me with his ability to learn something and then promptly unlearn it.

I actually love that he’s a lefty. I like quirks and traits that make people stand out. I had a hard to pronounce name growing up, but I never regretted all the times I had to correct people. In my eyes, being different from the crowd is a good lesson in finding your own path. And I have to say I always thought it would be cool to be a leftie, until I watched my son accomplishing normal tasks and realized how much our world is designed for right handed people.

So how many left handers are out there? In case you were wondering check out these famous left handers and feel free to name some more:

U.S. Presidents
1…. Gerald Ford–38th and Ronald Reagan–40th
2…. George H.W. Bush–41st and Bill Clinton–42nd

Historical Figures
3…. Alexander the Great and Julius Ceasar
4…. Queen Victoria of England
5…. Prince Charles and Prince William of England
6…. Boston Strangler and Jack the Ripper

Musicians
7…. Paul McCartney and Phil Collins
8…. Jimi Hendrix (who I read used a right handed guitar upside down to play)

Artists
9…. Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci

Actors
10…. Dan Ackroyd, Tim Allen and Charlie Chaplin
11…. Carol Burnett, Whoppee Goldberg, Marilyn Monroe, Nicole Kidman
12…. Tom Cruise, Robert Redford, Keanu Reeves

Athletes
13…. Pele, Babe Ruth, Monica Seles

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

30 comments to “13 Famous Left Handers”

1. Kate Willoughby
      · May 15th, 2007 at 9:51 pm · Link

There are three lefties in my family: my mom, sister and brother. What an interesting list. I’m glad I’m not a leftie. It would have been hell taking those calligraphy classes. Maybe that’s why Da Vinci found it so easy to use mirror writing…

2. rhian
      · May 16th, 2007 at 6:26 am · Link

I’m a lefty! Kinda interesting that when i went to Art College there was a very large number of lefties attending.
    More famous artists include:
    Albrecht Dürer
    M.C. Escher
    Hans Holbein
    Paul Klee
    Thomas Kincaide
    Raphael
    Rembrandt

3. Gabriella Hewitt
      · May 16th, 2007 at 7:10 am · Link

Kate–I find that tidbit about Da Vinci rather fascinating. I can’t imagine writing that way.

Rhian–I knew you’d fill out the artist list for me.

4. Miss Frou Frou
      · May 16th, 2007 at 9:43 am · Link

I’m a leftie too… do you realise that every time your son goes to do something he has to quickly compute and translate into something that is meaningful for him as a left hander. It’s why we are so clumsy, sometimes our brain doesn’t do the calculation quickly enough! Hence I walk into doorframes regularly, cause the door should be on the other side, or close my fingers inside doors.

5. Nancy
      · May 16th, 2007 at 11:02 am · Link

You are up EARLY! My dad should have been a lefty. Now his ambidextrous.

This list has a lot of interesting people on it. Do I need to know that the Boston Strangler and Jack the RIpper are left handed? ;)

6. Susan Helene Gottfried
      · May 16th, 2007 at 4:09 pm · Link

I’m something even worse — ambidextrous, and so is #2, it’s looking like.

Happy TT! And yes, this world IS set up for righties!

7. Ctina
      · May 16th, 2007 at 5:39 pm · Link

This was such a fun list and I had no idea that these people were lefties! :)

8. Christine d'Abo
      · May 16th, 2007 at 5:47 pm · Link

My cousin is a lefty and she’s the only on in the family. She’s just finished med school and is doing her residency.

It’s neat to see how many people out there are left handed. :grin:

9. mama kelly
      · May 16th, 2007 at 6:14 pm · Link

I knew some of these famous lefties and others were a surprise. THanks for the info!!

10. Milan - zzz
      · May 16th, 2007 at 7:14 pm · Link

Yep I was thinking about Monica Seles as well since she’s coming from my country (before she took US citizenship she played for Yugoslavia and she was born in Novi Sad, town very close to my birth town, Zrenjanin Serbia)
    Lovely list indeed.

Y muchas gracias por visitarme. Claro que Irlanda gano Eurosong competición porque cada dos años Irlanda organiza esta manifestación.
    Espero que me entiendas, ¿si?

Saludos de Serbia!

11. Thomma Lyn
      · May 16th, 2007 at 7:47 pm · Link

Whoa, what a cool list! I’m a lefty, too. I’m a left-handed, cat-loving writer — ha! No wonder I’m such a pill. :mrgreen:

Happy TT, and thanks for visiting my blog!

12. pussreboots
      · May 16th, 2007 at 7:53 pm · Link

I’m left handed!

13. Karen (Miscellaneous Mum)
      · May 16th, 2007 at 7:57 pm · Link

I’m a proud leftie too! We’re creative folk ;)

14. Joely
      · May 16th, 2007 at 8:38 pm · Link

My brother is a lefty! So far, my three monsters appear to be right-handed. Happy TT!

15. L-Squared
      · May 16th, 2007 at 8:55 pm · Link

Wow what an interesting list. I never knew some of those people were left handed.
    My parents are both right handed, but both my sister and I turned out to be lefties (actually I’m more ambidextrous). We’ve always said, “Everyone is born right handed, but only the gifted overcome it.” :smile:

16. Gabriella Hewitt
      · May 16th, 2007 at 9:30 pm · Link

Wow! I can’t believe how many of today’s visitors are lefties. Now what does that say?

Miss Frou Frou–thanks for that view into the lefty world. I hadn’t considered the time the brain needs to process info.

Milan-zz — Gracias. Te entiendo muy bien.

L-Squared– I love that quote (and I’m right handed). All left handed visitors take note so you can throw it out when you need it.

Thank you everyone for visiting and for the comments. I do visit everyone who stops by my blog. If I don’t leave a comment at your site it’s most likely because your site won’t allow non Blogger/Google account sign ins to leave a comment. But I did stop by to read your TT.

17. Erin the Innocent
      · May 16th, 2007 at 10:10 pm · Link

I am also left handed :)

18. Kate Davies
      · May 16th, 2007 at 11:35 pm · Link

Me too! Me too!

And I’m pretty sure Bruce Willis is a leftie as well. Vague memory of him signing something on Moonlighting years ago…:lol:

19. Miss Frou Frou
      · May 17th, 2007 at 4:01 am · Link

Considering your topic, thought you might like to see this:
    http://indexed.blogspot.com and How Sinister.

Indexed is a great blog, random thoughts on index cards

20. Jennifer Colgan
      · May 17th, 2007 at 4:37 am · Link

DH, DS and I are righties and DD is a lefty and proud of it. All the lefty ladies I know are quirky and creative and lots of fun.

21. Lisa
      · May 17th, 2007 at 5:20 am · Link

My spouse very much wanted our son to be a lefty. Specifically, a left handed starting pitcher. Alas, it seems he will be right handed like the rest of us.

22. Sue
      · May 17th, 2007 at 5:41 am · Link

I had no idea that Davinci was a South Paw! Cool! Thanks for stopping by, and Happy TT!

23. Tink
      · May 17th, 2007 at 6:20 am · Link

That’s an interesting list! I had no idea all those people are left-handed.
    Thanks for visiting my detective TT!

24. Lori
      · May 17th, 2007 at 8:57 am · Link

Very interesting…im a righty myself:)

25. Barb
      · May 17th, 2007 at 9:04 am · Link

I can now tell my daughter she is in good company! She has 1 uncle and 1 aunt and a great-grandmother on her Dad’s side who were left-handed.

Check out my TT.

26. Kay
      · May 17th, 2007 at 9:47 am · Link

I can use both hands to write. But I have to grip the pen with both hands. At the same time.

27. Sasha Tomaszycki
      · May 17th, 2007 at 11:34 am · Link

My sister is a lefty. She likes to say she is in her right mind:)

Just got an interesting tid-bit about lefties. Something to the effect that in Scotland, warriors were trained to be lefthanded so that that they could twart their enemies and they built winding staircases that swirled to the left to make it more difficult for the enemy to invade.

Wonder if it is true? If so, definitely makes for some clever Scots!

28. dew
      · May 17th, 2007 at 12:31 pm · Link

Both my kids are lefthanded, though their dad and I are righthanded. But my mom’s a lefty, too, so we figure it skipped a generation.

29. Amy Ruttan
      · May 17th, 2007 at 4:42 pm · Link

I was a lefty but was forced to be a righty. Isn’t it funny how many intelligent and savvy people are lefty. Maybe that’s what’s wrong with me now. :lol: ;)

Happy TT, great list, thanks for dropping by mine.

30. Sophisticated Writer
      · May 18th, 2007 at 12:07 pm · Link

I’m a rightie, but that was an interesting list :D

Trackbacks/Pingbacks