Gabriella Hewitt

Friday, March 23rd, 2012
March Madness – Frazer Lee

March Madness presents: Frazer Lee, DIRECTOR, SCREENWRITER, AUTHOR

Frazer Lee Bio: Frazer Lee is a writer and director whose screen credits include the award-winning short horror movies On Edge, Red Lines, Simone, and the horror/thriller feature film screenplay and movie novelization Panic Button. His Bram Stoker Award Nominated first novel The Lamplighters is published by Samhain Horror and his short stories have appeared in anthologies including the acclaimed Read By Dawn series. He lives with his family in Buckinghamshire, England, where he is working on new fiction and film projects.

Website: http://www.frazerlee.com/

Barnes & Noble

Panic Button
Paperback - Amazon
Ebook - Amazon

Hello Frazer!

Hello there!

Thank you so much for participating in the madness. Why don’t you take a break from the action, grab something cold to drink and let’s chat.

Thank you for inviting me! Time for an energy drink. Mmm, let me crack open this nice cool bag of type-o-neg…

Q: You’re an up-and-coming star but you’re not new to the game. Can you tell us more about yourself and how you set your sights on the Horror genre?

A: I don’t know about ‘star’, but I am a monster kid through-and-through. From an early age I was watching Hammer and Universal double-bills on TV, listening to ghost stories on the radio and reading voraciously. Those formative years gave me a lifelong passion and inexhaustible well of inspiration, which have carried over into my professional life. I have worked in other genres as a screenwriter and script doctor, but when I’m working on a personal project it so often opens up into horror. I’ll be writing a cute fluffy bunny rabbit family picnic scene and ten minutes later people will start bleeding. I’m just programmed that way.Panic Button Screen Play

Q: You’ve sat in the Coach’s seat as a film director and screenwriter. What made you take The Lamplighters to the written page? Any plans to bring it to the big screen and if you did who would you cast in the lead role?

A: It’s difficult to describe, but when The Lamplighters came to mind, it was clearly going to be my first novel. I’d love to bring it to the big screen of course, and the lead role of Marla Neuborn would be played by whoever the next Winona Ryder or Zooey Deschanel is. The Skin Mechanic would have the looks and physique of Rupert Everett and the brute animalistic force of a gladiator.

Q: We’re all dying to know, where did you get your inspiration for The Lamplighters? And how do you go to sleep without nightmares?

A: I hope I don’t go to sleep without nightmares, because that’s where much of my inspiration comes from. Other than that I have no idea where this sThe Lamplighterstuff comes from, and no real desire to find out, in case I can’t claw my way back from there! Marla and the Skin Mechanic came to me fully formed, so I just put a pot of coffee on the boil and let them tell their story.

Q: You’ve been nominated for a Bram Stoker Award for best first novel, which sets the bar high. What’s your game strategy? How do you plan on following up on such an amazing performance? What do you have in the pipeline next?

A: I should maybe specify, as per the Bram Stoker Awards rules, that the nomination is for ‘Superior Achievement in a first novel’ not the ‘Best’. It’s an amazing surprise and great honor to be nominated alongside such fine authors and works! I am working on my third horror novel now, and if it is even half as well received as The Lamplighters and Panic Button I’ll be more than happy. In addition to that, I’m working up some cool film projects, either as screenwriter/director or both.

Q: It seems like the Horror genre is making a comeback. Is that the case or has it never really been down? Any thoughts on where the genre is heading?

A: As a lifelong horror fan, I don’t believe the genre has ever been down. The perception that there’s a comeback is probably based on another of those moments in horror history when the genre’s popularity widens into the mainstream. But for those of us ‘inside’ the genre it never goes away because – and I think this is key – the horror fans are the selfsame people who are creating and celebrating horror on a daily basis. My first short horror film ‘On Edge’ has played festivals every single year for twelve years running (it’s in the official selection at the World Horror Con, Salt Lake City, March 2012). I don’t know of any other genre that has the longevity that horror has. Sure, there are peaks and troughs, but the beast will never die. I don’t know where the genre is heading, that’s part of the beauty of it. But I can tell you one thing – I am along for the long haul!Panic Button

Q: Finally, for any aspiring horror writers out there, what words of advice can you give them on their road to publication?

A: I would say, if you aspire to write horror be sure to read and write outside of the genre every once in a while. Horror is just one way to tell a story and other forms can be truly inspiring and revealing. And never send out a first draft of anything. Always give your work a polish, or two, or more. Because if you don’t look at your work twice, why should an editor, publisher or agent look at it once?

It was a great pleasure having you with us today. Thank you!

Thank you for having me!

Drawing: One lucky commenter will receive a signed paperback copy of Frazer Lee’s The Lamplighters. In your comment please include an email address. The drawing is open until midnight PST. Good luck and come back again tomorrow!

Gabriella Note: Frazer is up for a Bram Stoker Award for his novel The Lamplighters. The winners will be announced on March 31st. Frazer is not able to attend, but his editor, Samhain Horror Executive Editor Don D’Auria will be there. Keep your fingers crossed and wish them both luck. If you want to know more about Samhain Horror, check out yesterday’s post. Don was our guest.

19 comments to “March Madness – Frazer Lee”

1. Roni Lynne
      · March 23rd, 2012 at 12:59 pm · Link

After reading this I’m really curious to learn what The Lamplighters is all about! I mentioned in my response to Don D’Auria that James Herbert is my all-time favorite horror author & a title like The Lamplighters gives me a similar vibe!

I’d love to check out your work, Frazer!

my email: perisquire30 (at) comcast (dot) net (remove spaces and exchange words for symbols)

~Roni Lynne

YA Adventures in the Paranormal…and Beyond!

Connect with me!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RoniLynneAuthor

Twitter: http://twitter.com/RoniLynneAuthor

2. Sasha
      · March 23rd, 2012 at 4:36 pm · Link

Nice interview. Have to admit I like horror stories but not horror films, unless they have aliens (still can’t watch the original Aliens without squirming in my seat) or are end of the world apocolyptic style movies.

Interesting title and coverart. What is lamplighters about and how did you find your inspiration?

Which came first, the book or the movie, Panic Button?

3. Frazer
      · March 23rd, 2012 at 6:38 pm · Link

Thanks Roni, and hey James Herbert is one of my long-time faves too! Especially Haunted & The Magic Cottage.

Thanks Sasha, the initial inspiration came from a friend telling me about the ‘real’ lamplighters – essentially caretakers who look after millionaires’ mansions in their absence so the owners can still claim residency status. I think very visually so i quickly dreamed up lighting-driven horror situations, then the characters of Marla and The Skin Mechanic arrived, fully formed & i was off and running!

I was hired to write the screenplay of Panic Button first, then the movie novelization when the film was almost complete. I had a blast working on both!

Thanks for your comments and questions – and big thanks to Gabriella again for being such a great host.

4. alan nayes
      · March 23rd, 2012 at 6:41 pm · Link

i want to win–if i don’t i’ll send a ghost after you. lol. actually i don’t know any ghosts–yet. btw, great interview from both sides

• Frazer
      4.1
        · March 24th, 2012 at 6:17 am · Link

Cheers Alan & send the spooks, they could be useful inspiration! “i ain’t ‘fraid o’ no ghost” as the song goes :)

5. Lindsey
      · March 23rd, 2012 at 7:27 pm · Link

I love all things horror. People have a tendencey to bleed in my stories, too. :-P The Lamplighters sounds really great!

• Frazer
      5.1
        · March 24th, 2012 at 6:18 am · Link

Cheers Lindsey, let the blood run free!

6. Aaron Dries
      · March 23rd, 2012 at 7:35 pm · Link

Great article! The Lamplighters is truly excellent and I’m really keen to see/read Panic Button.

Good luck at the Stoker Awards! I’ll be watching the live streaming for sure.

All the best,
    Aaron Dries

• Frazer
      6.1
        · March 24th, 2012 at 6:23 am · Link

Thanks Aaron, great to hear your kind words about The Lamplighters & i hope you enjoy Panic Button. Cheers for the well-wishes, i’ll be watching the web screaming too… I mean streaming. Actually, maybe i was right 1st time, it’s at 4am UK time 8-O :mrgreen:

7. Sylv
      · March 24th, 2012 at 6:47 am · Link

Good luck with the book, loved Panic Room :wink:

• Frazer
      7.1
        · March 24th, 2012 at 5:37 pm · Link

Thanks Sylv! Panic Room is the one with Jodie Foster, right? :wink:

8. kylie frost
      · March 24th, 2012 at 7:42 am · Link

Great interview – I read pretty darn near any genre. Your work sounds interesting. Congratulations on your success and good luck in the future!!

• Frazer
      8.1
        · March 24th, 2012 at 5:38 pm · Link

Thank you Kayelle!

• Frazer
        8.1.1
          · March 24th, 2012 at 5:40 pm · Link

Oops, i meant thanks KYLIE! :lol:

9. Gabriella Hewitt
      · March 24th, 2012 at 8:37 am · Link

And it looks like the winner of Frazer’s The Lamplighters is Alan! It appears Frazer is safe from ghosts this time. :wink:

Congrats Alan! I’ll be in touch about your prize.

• alan nayes
      9.1
        · March 24th, 2012 at 11:42 am · Link

fantastic–look forward to reading this horror story. i usually never win anything, but today i got lucky. good luck to Frazer lee on all his projects–especially the bram stoker award!

• Frazer
        9.1.1
          · March 24th, 2012 at 5:44 pm · Link

Seriously though, send the spooks :mrgreen: Congrats & i hope you like the book when you get it!

10. Kayelle Allen
      · March 24th, 2012 at 1:06 pm · Link

Congratulations on the nom for a Bram Stoker award — what an honor. I wish you the best on upcoming work.

• Frazer
      10.1
        · March 24th, 2012 at 5:42 pm · Link

It is indeed a great honor to be a finalist with some amazing authors and works. Thanks muchly for the well-wishes!